Friday, March 11, 2011

Eyes On The Prize

I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:14
I am an all or nothing type of girl. I set my mind on something and I'm obsessed. That becomes my top priority. A few days ago I posted a link on Facebook to a blog guest blog post over at My Crazy Adoption. In a nutshell it warns against letting adoption/orphan care become our idol. Our women's bible study is working our way through Philippians, and this week we were in chapter 3, verses 12-end. It made me think of this article. My focus has been on adoption so much lately and getting things ready that I admittedly have let certain things go. There is even a temptation to not want to serve in ministry because "I need to be focussed on the adoption." This journey isn't a replacement for everything else God has planned and is doing in our family. It's not a spiritual etch-a-sketch that I can shake clean to draw a new picture.

My focus in this journey, and always needs to be on Christ. Paul uses the phrase "press on" in describing our walk as Christians. To press on shows effort and struggle. It's a choice. I think about exercise, once the burn begins I can press on through the pain for the satisfaction of the results, OR I can step off the treadmill. The same way in our walk, we can press on through the struggles, and yes through the pain or we can step off: we can remain stagnant and just stop moving forward. I want to press on! I want to see all that the Lord has for me! I want to see my savior face to face! I want to hear my Creator say "well done good and faithful servant!" One of my favorite quotes from the post is this one:
Our adoption journeys/orphan ministries are walks to which Jesus invites us for the growing of our own once-orphaned-hearts; a journey to give us a better bond and healthier attachment to our Savior, our Redeemer, our adoptive Father and Friend. You see, when Paul said, “run the race as to win the prize” he wasn’t talking about an orphan. He was talking about Jesus. Jesus is the prize. Run the race with both eyes set on him. Follow him and you will run the race well.
And that is the point: following Christ keeping our eyes on him not matter what leg of the race we're on. And just to clarify, this doesn't just go for those of us on the adoption journey. We can put so many things in the place of God: our family, our jobs, even ministry!  I pray that you really take the chance to read Cindy's post, I know you will be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment