Monday, March 18, 2013

Recommended Adoption/Orphan Care Books

I'm not a huge reader, I was growing up and I do love a good book, however I tend to gobble up little bits (blogs, magazines, etc.) When I find a good book I just want to submerse myself in it and not do anything else, which with three kids at home and a husband is a little difficult. So this may not be the most comprehensive list... but I figure it's a good start for anyone looking.

1. The Bible.... what? The ultimate adoption story. I'll give two recommendations here.
 
First, the NKJK Woman's Study Bible... love, love, love this bible. So great for personal study. The helps are incredible and it is just so clearly put together. If you are new to the Bible, I totally recommend getting this and really digging in. 

Secondly, this is my new favorite. I love taking notes in my Bible AND I have a sudden obsession with Moleskine journals. So, this totally makes sense to me. The ESV Single Column Journaling Bible. If you follow the Amazon link you can click look inside and see the awesomeness of this. Oh, and I really like the translation. This is my first time with the ESV version and I am usually an NKJV girl. But this is the best of both worlds. It doesn't seem completely foreign to me like some modern translations do, but it does totally make some passages so much easier to digest. 

2. Orphanology: Awakening to Gospel-Centered Adoption and Orphan Care This has been one of my favorite books on adoption and orphan care. It breaks down many areas of orphan care and truly presents God's heart for it. It tackles international, domestic, foster care, creating an orphan care ministry, and how leadership should create a culture of adoption. Our adoption and orphan care ministry has a number of these books available to borrow if you are interested in reading it. 



3. Acres of Hope: The Miraculous Story of One Family's Gift of Love to Children  Without Hope The true story of a family that adopted eight special needs children on top of the seven biological children God had given them. Truly inspiring and made me fully see adoption and orphan care as a mission that God has called our family to not just a way to add a child.

4.Another Place at the Table While not a Christian book this is a great realistic account of what it's like doing foster care. She touches on a number of topics you don't always here about. I guess the word that just keeps coming to mind is real. A great read.


5. God Found Us You (Harperblessings) This is one of our favorite books to read with the girls and get the picture of adoption in their head and how badly we longed for them. The only part I will caution is about is that little fox asks why he couldn't stay with his birth mom and Momma Fox says that she (b-mom) must have had her reasons and that she's sure she prayed for her as much as she (Momma Fox) prayed for her. For now I skip over or augment that part. Without a doubt, while we were waiting I prayed so much (and even blogged about it) for our birth mom. I don't believe that was without reason. However, the wording of the book certainly lends itself more to a birth mom relinquishment or international adoption, not necessarily foster adoption. Never the less... it's an incredible book and one to add to your library. **Note--- make sure you have tissues, I cry each time. *** The same author also has some other books we love: God Gave Us Christmas and  God Gave Us Easter.

6. Just in Case You Ever Wonder I love this book. I've had the copy we use since M was little (and he's 13 now). I held on to it because I loved it and always trusted that one day we would need it. While it's not specifically adoption related the words ring true for all children and the wording isn't specific to children born into a family. For example: " And since you are so special, go wanted to put you in just the right home... where you would be warm when it's cold, where you'd be safe when you're afraid, where you'd have fun and learn about heaven. After lots of looking, God sent you to me. And I'm so glad He did." A classic for generations to come.

7. My Family, My Journey: A Baby Book for Adoptive Families This is the baby book we have for each of the twins. It was given to me at our baby shower for "Baby Z". It sat for the longest time unwritten in because I was so scared that it would only serve as a sad reminder if we lost the girls. I remember the day I ordered a second one and so gingerly wrote their names in them. Beautiful book and I love that it is specific to adoption.

So, here's just a starter list. I'm sure there will be more as time goes by and I'll update. I'd love to hear any recommendations you have as well in the comments!






No comments:

Post a Comment